Friday, November 30, 2007

Shape Up, Or Sin Out!

There is a universal law in our world termed entropy, and I fear it is true of myself as well. Entropy states that there is a "inevitable and steady deterioration of a system," and my life suffers from it, for sure. Just as things tend to degress naturally (i.e., the cleanliness of my room), so does my spiritual life, which is life itself, to be quite true.

Isn't it true that we are most drawn to prayer when we are at our most pathetic? Don't we often look to God when things are going poorly? Why is that? When skies are sunny and temperatures mild, do we think to go to the One who made them that way?

It seems if I were to take a more preventative stance in my guard against sin, I wouldn't lurch from this spiritual seesaw, "being tossed to and fro by every wind of doctrine." I mean, let's be honest, we need no false prophets to succumb to the allures of erroneous doctrine. It takes only a furtive glance, a misplaced word, an unguarded mind.

I am challenged to guard against my entropic tendencies, and not rest on the victories of today. As a sinner, I can quickly err tomorrow. It is, perhaps, what we commit to in the easier times that proves us victorious in the hard ones. So, pray in earnest, and do so often. "Don't think of yourself more highly than you ought to think," and give yourself undue license to indulge.

An athelete proves himself in the offseason; a farmer commits when the ground lies fallow; a soldier enlists before the battle cry ever sounds. A Christian, then, must resolve now that they'll remain ever ready for the Lord's return, lest they be found lacking oil for their lamps (Matthew 25). "The spirit is willing," eh, "but the flesh is indeed weak." Allow the Spirit of God to do vigilant work in your life, then, and avoid the 'slippery skin' you're in.

References: Ephesians 4:14; Romans 12:3; 2 Timothy 2; Matthew 26:41

No comments: