Friday, April 6, 2007

Tell the Preacher

I am reading through a book of sermon quotes from the "Prince of Preachers" Charles Spurgeon and came across one that reminded me of why I think we need this blog, to encourage each other in our ministries.

There was a man of God who had been a very distinguished preacher, and when he lay dying, he was much troubled in his mind. He had been greatly admired, and much followed. He was a fine preacher of the classical sort, and one said to him, "Well, my dear sir, you must look back upon your ministry with great comfort." "Oh, dear!" said he, "I cannot; I cannot. If I knew that even one soul had been led to Christ and eternal life by my preaching, I should feel far happier; but I have never heard of one." What a sad, sad thing for a goodly company of people at the grave, for he was highly respected, and deservedly so. One who heard him make that statement was standing at the grave, and he noticed a gentleman in mourning, looking into the tomb, and sobbing with deep emotion. He said to him, "Did you know this gentleman who has been buried?" He replied, "I never spoke to him in my life." "Then what is it that so affects you?" He said, "Sir, I owe my eternal salvation to him." He had never told the minister this cheering news, and the good man's deathbed was rendered dark by the silence of a soul that he had blessed. This was not right. A great many more may have found the Lord by his means, but he did not know of them, and was therefore in sore trouble. Do tell us when God blesses our word to you. Give all the glory to God, but give us the comfort of it. The Holy Spirit does the work, but if we are the means in His hands, do let us know it, and we will promise not to be proud.

taken from "Spurgeon Gold" compiled by Ray Comfort

No comments: