Tuesday, July 22, 2008

In My Right Mind

So, I have this theory, which is, of course, inherently flawed by its very nature. Nevertheless, I wonder that my prayers and my worries occur in the opposite parts of my brain. No, really! Often, when I find myself lying awake in bed, wondering at what I've forgotten to do, or anticipate doing, the only thing that seems to shut my brain off is to begin to pray.

Now, some of you may wonder, "Not much of a prayer life, if you're falling asleep." Perhaps, though I've heard it evidences a deep trust in Christ. Either way, it works. And, don't think me too pompous by that statement; you need only note the time of this posting. My point is this: prayer demonstrates, I think, the antidote to our worry, because, in its very act, it places faith and trust in God above that He will hear, and He will answer, and He cares. When worry crowds my mind, I need only "cast my cares upon Him," who is able to shoulder my deepest need (forgiveness) and my smallest want (sleep). Just a thought; now, excuse me, while I pray myself back to sleep.

No comments: