Thursday, September 11, 2008

An Inspiration

I want to tell you a brief tale of a dear friend of mine, who has wowed me with his lifestyle. What has impressed me most about this brother in Christ is his tremendous generosity. He is the first to gift another in need, and does so so very often without any attempt at honor, striving instead to remain anonymous as possible. This is all well and good, but when I consider this gentleman's own humble means, then, I am blown away.

Why is that? As meritorious as it is that he would share, not out of his abundance, but alongside his own need, shouldn't this be the norm for the average Christian? Why is it that this seems so incredible to me? Is it because generosity has gone the way of the New Testament (2 Corinthians 8)? Are we so indebted these days to our 3-year leases, and excessive credit card balances, that we're incapable, or unwilling, to share with a brother in need?

That brings up a whole 'nother issue, of course, on par with the admonition of Ezekiel 18:13, which equates usury and excessive interest with "detestable things." The point is this: generosity should characterize our lifestyles, even more so when we ourselves are of humble means. This, then, is the meaning of Acts 4:32. This, then, is the goal of the Christian church. This, then, is where we need to match up with God's will. Amen.

1 comment:

Adam Pohlman said...

Be sure to tell this person how much you appreciate their work.

I am often convicted about how much of my time and money I waste and could be using it to serve others better. What a testimony the church could be to the transformation of God if we were so much more generous. I pray that these upcoming renewal services are the beginning of some great works of God at Emmanuel.