Sunday, September 7, 2008

Wise Investing?

Alright! That's it! I can't take it anymore! I've had my fill of the undercurrent of worldliness plaguing our American churches, and homes. Sadly, it seems we have grown anesthetized to it, enjoying it for so long, in so many various ways. Whether it's the 13 year old who's just gotta have a cell phone (yeah; 13 year's old!), or the 20-something who needs every trendy outfit their little shopaholic heart can hunt down; maybe it's the empty-nester, who finally has the collateral to build their dream home (so what if there's only two of us living here; opulence is king!); or--and this is my favorite--the retiree (if they even wait that long) who sees no way around having a second home. Ladies and gentlemen, need I remind you that this world is not our home; we certainly don't need to diversify our claims to it!

It saddens me to think that, even in my own life, the very next thought after paying that final bill is, "Alright, what to buy?" Have we forgotten the call to self-denial? Have we found our joy best satisfied in God's gifts, rather than the gift of God? We marvel at the shared community of Acts 4, and yet, is it really that unimaginable, or does it simply conflict with our ingrained consumerism?

We need not analyze our selfishness; we come by that honestly. I wonder, though, have we erred as evangelicals by railing against the "Social Gospel" to such an extent that we're no longer able to address the social needs of our age? Do we honestly think that our money is better spent on Steven Curtis Chapman's newest CD than the African AIDS crisis? Have we so deluded ourselves to believe that God is somehow honored by this?

God help us. Father, forgive us. Holy Spirit, change us.

3 comments:

Scot Richard Luman said...

Love you and your passionate message against American Consumerism...may God have mercy on us all.

Adam Pohlman said...

Quite frustrating I agree. After studying our own budget, Molly and I have found several areas that we can make cuts. We have made it a goal to have our house paid off in 10 years so we can be completely free to help others in all areas.

I have kind of had a dream that everyone in our church has no debt and we get everyone out of debt by getting one person at a time paid off. Then we move to the next person, and the next, and soon nobody has debt and the amounts of money going to missions, evangelism, and service are bountiful. Wouldn't it be great to see everyone so committed to responsibility with the money God has given them stewardship over that even in our American prosperity, we are seen as different from the world?

Good post Jeremy. I agree and hope to emphasize that in teaching of all of my classes and Bible studies. We have gone through 1 Peter and now are going through Philippians on Tuesday nights and both emphasize how we are to live as foreigners in this world. It's been very encouraging.

Rev Kev said...

I agree with you guys, and materialism is a plague on us all. The challenge I think though may not be who can live on the least, or desire the least, or never buy anything new. The challenge is found in where is my heart? And how do I find balance? God did tell us to rule the earth. This must include painting the house, trimming the trees, and taking out the trash. If you spent all your time reading the Bible while your house rotted out from under your family, that would be wrong as well. God sent Joseph to Egypt to build barns, and store grain in ridiculous abundance, and build up an excess to provide for the needs of many people. I would not use that as a model for my life, but some persons have made or accumulated money that has turned out to be a great provision to others in a time of need. Heart and balance remains the question.

I could live in a much smaller house, and maybe I should. But everybody I know could. In Mexico, the families I stayed with all lived in a one room house with a kitchen hanging off the side. It was very common for most of the cooking to be done outside. I am sure we all could get by with 1/2 as many rooms in our houses.

I, too, think the battle for cell phones and video games and pimped cars and debt is out of control for most of us. But I want to effect a heart solution. I want to instill the desire in people to control their finances in an attitude of total stewardship to God. We should all live balanced lives, and we should certainly avoid needless extravagance. But I also take pleasure in making my yard look nice, painting my house a new color, and washing my car so it looks nice. I think this is ruling the earth, and I think God told us to do it.

The Amish have frugal living down, but in my personal experience, this has not made them any more spiritual or Godly. My attitude towards the resources that God puts at my disposal is really the question.

I can't think of situation where I would buy a new car, because it is a waste of money in my opinion. But someone has to buy the new car and put 80,000 miles on it so I can buy a used one. If everyone loved God and managed their finances to his glory, someone still has to buy the new car, and that would not be wrong.

Friends, take the opportunity to respond with solid Biblical principles that outline a way of living and thinking that takes into account that some will live with very little, and others will be held accountable for many, many talents.

Principle number one?

1) ..........